Sunday, July 27, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For

After months of dreaming about it, I actually have a chunk (6 weeks) of time off work. Certainly it's a gift, and the reality/luxury of that time is sinking in....but now I have no excuses not to write, and to work on a book project with no end in sight. It reminds me of a cross-country drive I did the summer I was 20, driving from Chicago to San Francisco, and how the horizon in Nebraska seemed endless, a moving target.

The truth is I don't really know how to structure a book, so I'm just writing it piece by piece, and taking it on faith (i.e. wishing and hoping) that the story will come together in a coherent and interesting way. This week I'm participating in a writers' conference at Lesley U in Cambridge, where I work. Hopefully I'll get some guidance and some creative fuel for the next steps....'cuz right now it's so much easier to pick up a book or watch awful summer TV than to work on my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home