Monday, January 07, 2008

The Need for Structure

My workload has been light lately, and I'm finding myself with a lot of unstructured time. As a writer, this should be a gift, but I'm feeling uninspired, with nothing much to write about. (Yes, this is an excuse). On the other side of this excuse, I'm face to face with my natural laziness and general sense of inertia. When I admit this to myself, I'm also faced with the need to find work that uses my skills, talents, and gifts out in the world--something that involves teaching, writing, performing, etc. So far, I'm not sure which direction to follow.

At 50, I"m still figuring out what, and who, I want to be when I grow up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen Friesen said...

Oh my. I too, at 48 am still waiting to see what I'm going to be when I grow up. I figure this doesn't happen to many people or maybe no one else admits to it or else they fake it really well. Everyone seems so very "adult-like" to me, striding about with purpose and portent.
I too, am working on a memoir and your allusion to its slippery-fish-ness was perfect. I have tons of vignettes but the connecting thread is the thing I can't get to somehow. Anyways, liked reading your blog entries...Keep going.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home